Friday, April 25, 2014

the value of protein

Protein is by far the MOST beneficial supplement to take while weightlifting. Protein repairs torn tissues which is what happens when you lift. This torn tissue is in need for immediate repair and needs time to recover. Without enough recovery time and protein your body can actually decrease in strength because the body will not have enough time to build the tissue back up. There are major benefits to taking protein it is the quickest way to increase muscle mass which will in turn help you to boost your lifts. The amount of protein you take is crucial. If you take too much you will gain fat but too little and your muscles will not get the correct amount of nutrients. Studies suggest that you take 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight per day. For example I am 200 pounds so on a heavy lifting day I would want to take in no less then 200 grams of protein after my workout. Due to hard training, my workout regimen, and my daily intake of supplements I have experienced recent success in gaining weight on my lifts! This week was my heavy cycle and I had PR's in both bench and squat. With my bench I have reached a significant landmark for a powerlifter reaching 275 pounds (25ibs away from goal). My squat also went up 10 pounds to 445 (10ibs away from goal). Powerlifters strive to push their bodies to the limits and there is no better feeling then being able to put up more weight then before! I will keep posting updates and hope for more success in the weeks to come!

2 comments:

  1. I really have no clue what your doing but you sound knowledgeable and I think it great you found something your passionate about. keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. That is a LOT of weight. Good luck keeping it up!

    ReplyDelete